Monday 30 May 2016

The Problem With Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 384 
Publisher: MIRA Ink 
Released: 1st of June 2016

TRIGGER WARNINGS: child abuse, neglect 


When Mallory was a kid, she was bounced from one horrible foster home to another. At thirteen, a terrible accident got her removed from the group home where she was living to a hospital where she met the parents who would adopt her. But when she starts a new school and encounters an old friend from the foster system sparks start to fly



What I Have to Say 

I couldn't get into this book at all. I don't think that's the books fault though. A lot of the issues that Mouse faces with anxiety were a little too close to home and it's not the right time for me to read books dealing with it at the moment. The fact that it affects me so much is, of course, a point in it's credit as it shows how realistic a portrayal it is. 

Even though I couldn't connect with the book as much as I would have liked, the book was still incredibly moving and beautifully told. It shows clearly how much damage child abuse can leave with a person, that finding a loving home doesn't stop the struggle that the child faces. Mouse's issues are very prominent throughout the book and dealt with in a sensitive, respectful but still very real way. 

If you plan to read this book, be sure to prepare yourself for the abuse it features. 


My thanks go to Mira Ink and Netgalley for providing me with this copy for review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment